Knights of Columbus
The Knights of Columbus is a Catholic men's fraternal group. Pittsburgh/East End Council #3530 has been serving our community for over 50 years and over the past 12 years has won numerous national, state and local awards. We cordially invite the men of Sacred Heart to join our efforts.
Knights of Columbus is looking for a few good men!
Please consider becoming a member of the premier Catholic men's group in the World.
Membership: What's in it for you, our future brother?
- Our members are served with our own optional insurance program and new members can invest in saving annuities with attractive rates.
- The children of Knights are eligible to compete for college scholarships valued at $3,000 over a five-year period.
- Each member receives monthly the "Columbia" magazine, a bi-monthly newsletter, and periodic email updates.
- We don't forget your family! We have many family-oriented events, golf outings, picnics, trips, parties and more!
- You can make your family proud, as recognition is given through the "Knight of the Quarter," "Family of the Quarter" and "Knight and Family of the Year Awards."
We support our parishes and parish schools...
- The Knights provide pamphlets on "How to Prepare for Confession", and "How to say the Rosary, pro-life materials, vocation materials, booklets and posters on many church topics to our parishes.
- We show our priests appreciation and confirmation for all they do
- We provide support for our seminarians.
- The Knights nationally sponsor several programs for our parochial schools. Our local council participates in many of these including: School Essay Contest with cash awards and certificates, altar server certificates, school library support and school fund raiser support.
Want more inforamtion?
- www.kofc.3530.us/ for Council #3530
- www.pakofc.us for Pennsylvania Knights of Columbus
- www.kofc.org for Supreme Council/national Knights of Columbus
Here is a brief look at just a few Knights of Columbus on-going projects and programs:
We support Pittsburgh's exceptional children....
As part of the seventy-five Councils in the Pittsburgh Diocese we raise funds for "The Bishop's Project" which has raised $5.6 million over the past 53 years for the St. Anthony School Program and McGuire Home. Council #3530 has raised $157,000 of that amount, $91,500 of that amount in just the past eight years when we received six top 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards among the 75 Councils of the Diocese. The parishioners of Sacred Heart Parish have been among our most generous donors!
We feed the hungry....
Over the past 12 years, Council #3530 has donated $90,000 of non-perishable foods (over 55,000 pounds of food) to East End food pantries including St. Maria Goretti, St. Raphael, St. Rosalia and the East End Cooperative Ministries.
We help those who cannot see....
We collect old eyeglasses from our parishes and our community and we pass them to a national optical company for refurbishing and prescription cataloging. In association with the LIONS, the glasses are delivered to those who are poor and in need of glasses in the United States and world-wide.
We console the families of deceased parishioners....
Council #3530 mails condolence cards each week which are signed by the pastors and our Council Grand Knight and sent to the next of kin.
We assist our schools and the youth of our parishes....
We promote english writing through participation in the national Knights Essay Contests where we locally award certificates and cash prizes to our children. We award Certificates of Merit to altar servers as they graduate from 8th grade and high school. We participate in school and parish fund raisers.
We Promote marriage and family values....
Periodically, we sponsor a "Marriage Covenant Renewal" ceremony at one of our five parishes. We try to plan events like picnics, dinners, and other special events of interest to our couples and their families. We acknowledge "Family Achievements."
The Knights of Columbus is about "Fraternity" ....
When you join the Knights of Columbus, you join a fraternity of Catholic men who become your "brothers!" We rejoice with you, we weep with you, we share time together.